The embattled ex-chairman of the Presidential Task Force on Pension Reforms, Abdulrasheed Maina, is said to have gone into hiding for the second time over alleged complicity in a N2 billion fraud.
The
Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had declared Maina
wanted about two years ago after he was indicted in the pension scam.
He reportedly fled the country at the time.
Maina
was still on the Commission's wanted list when it came to light over
the weekend that he has since been back in the country, reinstated and
promoted - a development that has caused outrage amongst Nigerians and
put another dent on the President Muhammadu Buhari anti-corruption war.
The
EFCC has reportedly launched a manhunt for the ex-pension task force
chairman, who was immediately sacked by the President on Monday, October
23, after his embarrassing reinstatement became public.
Although Minister of Interior, Abdulrahman Dambazau and the Head of Service, Winifred Oyo-Ita had denied involvement in Maina's reinstatement, fresh documents show that they played major roles in the reemployment of the fugitive.
The documents also revealed that the Minister of Justice and the Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, was actively involved in Maina's reinstatement.
According
to NAN, Maina, who had been reinstated as an acting director in the
Ministry of Interior, did not show up at the office on Monday, where he
was billed to meet with yet to be identified persons.
The
office located at the Old Secretariat in Area 1, consists of a
reception, a waiting room before a massive door leading up to the
director’s office.
The reception looked
dreary while two young men in the waiting room fiddled with their phones
as they conversed in low tones, the report said.
In response to enquiries about the whereabouts of her new boss, Maina's female secretary was said to have snapped, "I don’t know where he is."
A
source said Maina travelled to Kano during the weekend and had given
appointments to some persons to meet him at the office on Monday but
went into hiding soon afterwards.
"He
planned to meet with some visitors in his office on Monday but for him
to have aborted the appointment and switched off his phones meant he had
gone underground. He may not be seen for a little while," the source said.
It
was learnt that the fugitive had over the last few months held meetings
with several groups and individuals with respect to his ambition to
contest in the 2019 governorship election in his home state of Borno.
"Maina
has not hidden his political plans as he is known to broadcast his
ambition on WhatsAppplatform to his friends and associates," the source further explained.
The EFCC Spokesman, Mr. Wilson Uwujaren, also said the commission is still on his trail.
He,
however, stated that the commission had marked his houses in Abuja
including a house in Jabi said to be worth about $2 million.

Attorney General of the Federation (AGF), Abubakar Malami
Winifred Oyo-Ita
Minister of Interior, retired Lt.-Gen. Abdulrahman Dambazau
Comments
Post a Comment